Photobucket

Friday, November 21, 2008



Outward Bound Singapore


Day 1, 17 November 2008



I awoke at 7.30am, and did the final packing for the camp. Then I bused down to Punggol Jetty. So many new faces appeared in front of me at the gathering area, I hardly knew anyone, even people from CJ. 8 MJC and 8 CJC students formed group 28-Nehru. ODAC. I felt quite excited and at the same time restless, so I decided to initiate conversation with a group member of mine, Aloysius. It was my first time going to OBS and I had no clue to what to expect for the next couple of days. All I knew was that I was going to get the most out of it. Hahaha, Aloysius and I cliqued well.

[Rahavan, Aloysius, Me- Day 4]






Ferried to Pulau Ubin, OBS campsite. 15min journey. Gathered for a briefing on top of the stationary ship. Saw the enormous grasshopper. tempted to throw things at it. mjc people were really enthusiastic. played 'celebration'. like blow wind blow.



We were briefed about the usual camping equipment like the tents, harnesses, jerry cans, helmets, ponchos, etc, all of which was found in the store. Much of today was administrative stuff and preparation for the next few days. We filled up water bottles and got the harnesses as we strolled to the Cook House. Aloysius and I volunteered as the food ICs :D haha, food.



Lunch today was prepared for us. We had rice, sausages and some greens.
After that, we proceeded to the MPH (Multi-Purpose Hall) for the High Elements. Wowie zowie, there were quite a few new things that I saw there. There were “Snakes and ladders”, “Double Dangle Duo”, “Rock wall” and the “Shaky wall”. I teamed up with Faruq for the “Double Dangle Duo”. Initially I thought that it was a child’s play to climb up that thing. Man, I was wrong! I found it quite hard to get on to the chained logs and it was difficult to balance. I fell down from the first log to the ground at first cos the belayer was not prepared for that. Hahaha, no broken bones though. To move on to the next log, Faruq and I would have to be on the same log at first. Although chained, the logs could still shake and move about. To make things more challenging, the distance of the first log to the next increases! Eventually Faruq and I made it to the top! Woooh. Shiok. I think I took about 15-20minutes o.O It was a great experience. To pull your friend up when he is a level below you is what I had learnt from this activity.



All 16 of us had to complete at least one activity once by 5.30pm, but unfortunately, 2 of us didn’t manage to do so. Well I guess it was a bit of poor time management and the lack of good communication among all members. In compensation to earn the ‘passport’ to kayak, we were punctual for dinner and much stuff after that.



Dinner was rice and some other things. All of which were self-cooked! :) Guess what?! My rice was unofficially the BEST in OBS!!! Hehe xD yeah, I crapped quite a bit about that even though what I actually did was to stir. Lol.



We pitched our tents and moved it to the forested area for the night.





It was a good day.

----------------------------


Day 2

Goodness me, I woke up at 5.55am with a bit of aches. It was a cool night though. We gathered at MPH for our Morning Circle to share about what we learnt for the previous day. Then we had a briefing in the morning for kayaking preparation. After packing our stuff into the kayaks, we had to perform a capsize drill. Of all my previous kayaking experiences which were for leisure, that was something new to me.



1.....2......3! Splash! The kayak overturned and Aloy and I got it back on it. Quite fun actually :) I was just worried that my contacts would come off. So all of us got on the loaded kayaks and set off into the blue. We kayaked around for a while and then crossed the channel to Punggol Jetty, where we first gathered for OBS. Kayak by kayak, we carried about 30 kayaks up the shore to a grass patch. We were all sticky, wet, sweaty and our shoes were filled with sand. It was frustrating at that moment. We were all tired and hungry too and we couldn’t wait to get a bath.



Just when we were done with the moving and unpacking of the kayaks, the discomfort sank in further as we were informed that we were not allowed to use the showering facilities of OBSRC!!! What the hell man... We could only use the hose to wash our feet and shoes.

Sigh... What could we do...?


Back to basics- wash up bottom half and a powder bath. :( We cooked Magee mee for dinner and I helped out here and there. Thankfully, we did not have to pitch out tents on the grassy area. Instead, it was at the porch- less little creatures keeping us company. Haha


Oh and there was sentry duty that night, but my friends and I missed it :p TOO TIRED!! Also, we heard that tomorrow would be a long day. Today’s kayaking was just about 3 hours. Tomorrow’s journey will be 5 times the distance travelled today. T.T


A LONG DAY AHEAD!



GOOD NIGHT!


-----------------------------------

Day 3


Last night's sleep was terrible! I got up 3 times in the middle of the night because it was sooooo HUMID! I was perspiring so much. Urgh..

Anyway...


Man, I tell you, this was THE DAY! We got up, packed our stuff into our kayaks once more, carried the kayaks out into the sea, and set off peddaling. Our destination?


The Causeway!!! O.O


Our target was to reach the Causeway between Singapore and Malaysia and touch the wall there. We packed a sufficient amount of snacks into our life vest and embarked on our ambitious kayaking expedition.

[Passed Senoko Power Station]

Aloy and I tried speeding here and there, challenging other kayakers. Sharidan tried. Yeah, he tried. xD


It took so long to get there, like a never-ending journey.


Senoko Power Station. There it was, the long linking thingy which we all awaited for soooo long! It was within the periphery of our vision. Sped up and touched it! That was not really a moment of happiness, surprisingly. As far as I'm concerned, I did not exactly feel a sense of accomplishment. I just wanted to get out of the kayak and stand upright on my two feet as fast as possible! Our backs, arms, legs were all aching... Haha but looking back, HEY, it WAS an achievement indeed! Like who else touched the Causeway before??? :D


Upon our detour to the new campsite, the heavens opened as rain poured down like sheets. Vision was slightly obscure and the wind was cold and chilly. The sea waters felt so good and warm... Ahhhhh..... It was a spectacle to watch.


Despite the route to the new campsite being shorter, we were still exasperated. There was a moment when I was so sleepy that I slept on the kayak as I pressed onto the pedal. Yeah, and I left my poor friend peddaling the whole kayak himself. I really couldn't help it man, my subconscious remained awake and knew that something was wrong, but I was helplessly sleepy to do anything about it. Until we drifted quite a bit from the fleet, did I then come to my senses. "The spirit is willing, but the flesh is weak."


MY GOODNESS... When we arrived at Sembawang campsite, we were frustrated once again, perhaps even more this time round. The ground there had so much litter and it was infested with all sorts of bugs. T.T The desire to get a nice clean bath was so strong.

[Something like that, but smaller, around 9cm?]

But then again, we were not allowed to. Really damn pissing man. The reason this time was that the place did not belong to OBS so we couldn't use the showering facilities. :(


Sticky, sweaty, dirty, sandy, cold, hungry, tired, frustrated...


Again, we pitched our tents and got ready the food. While finding a place to settle down to start cooking, I saw a centipede on the ground. Pretty freaky cos of it's length- about 9cm. I think OBS has quite a lot of weird and never-seen-before invertebrates man. Ever caught a glimpse of a grass hopper the size of two thumbs? Yea that was what I saw when I arrived at OBS campsite. Yuck.


Well, at least I had a good dinner eventually, as usual :D haha. Some of us resorted to eating our Magee noodles straight from the packet.


Amidst our dinner, it started to rain again.


I went back to the tent, and it was called a day.

---------------------------------------

Day 4


All of us cleaned the Sembawang campsite early in the morning and did the usual packing. I had a chance to do something I'd never do in my life again. That was to pluck grass! Lol. Some gardening work for the clean-up. So we departed the area at 8.30am and took 4 hours to arrive at OBS once again! The sun seemed to be microwaving us throughout our journey back. Now, the water felt nice and cool. :) All of us carried faces of delight as we approached our final destination! Finally, there were PROPER TOILETS to use!!! YAY!!!!! :D

However, before we could get to shower, we had to wash the kayaks. It was then that I got to know more people like Kesaven (K7), Paolo, Kumar, Gabriel, etc.





I never felt so happy showering before. :D


We were asked to make special dishes with whatever food we were left with, because for dinner, it was going to be a buffet! Well... This time the rice did not turn out as nice though. Tasted burnt and uncooked. Look at us working on it:


Hmmm... The rest of the food that the other groups, Washington, Elizabeth Choi, and Tok Seng cooked were tasty too, especially the baked rice from Elizebeth Choi. Lol, but all the food were somewhat using the same ingredients. We were surprised by the instructors as they made their very own Apple Struddle! One of the ingredients was digestive biscuits. Cool stuff. This was what my group made :) mmmMMMmmmm.

All 16 Nehru-nians and our instructor Vivian.


Rahavan told some of his jokes to a group of us guys after eating. Hmmmm... A bit inappropriate to post it here though. :p NC-16 stuff. Really funny though. Hahahaha.


Although the night activity was forfeited due to the rain, I enjoyed the sharing session at night at the pontoon. Elizabeth Choi and Nehru came together to exchange their thoughts about the whole camp so far. Each person had his turn to express him/herself. I could see that many of us were caught by surprise by the camp, our mindsets have been changed and we have grown for the past four days, each in our special way.


In the end, it was a wonderful time out at sea, and back at OBS campsite.


The fourth day is complete.

------------------------------------

Day 5, 21 November 2008

Everyone had the going home syndrome already. It was just 8 hours left before we get on the ferry and head back to mainland. :)


The packing up was quick and there was just one event left for us to complete. It was the tripod. We had another sharing session too and this was what we wrote for each other in groups of 5:



As I leaped cross from a plank to another on the tripod structure, I said my commitment:


"I will be more self-disciplined, interactive and engaging. I will talk to more people and through my actions and words, inspire them."


I jumped. :)

-------------

Instructor Vivian distributed the certificates of completion to us. We gathered at the jetty again, took some pictures, and then said goodbye. I looked at the sea, and recalled every scene of the 5 days once more. The kayaking, the insects, the food, and the friends. It came to an end so quickly. I miss it all.


Well... In any way......



I've completed OBS!! :D




A truly memorable outward bound jouney.


P.S. That was just for fun :p


--------------------------------------------

Reflections

I never thought that it would be so demanding. OBS did not just sharpen the physical aspect of me. It made me more mentally strong too. Especially the kayaking part of it. Just imagine, 16 hours in total! Half the time it was so monotonous, like your hands were just moving because they are programmed to do so.


Team work came into play time and again and time management of course.


Getting to know new friends has always been nice, furthermore when they are open to you.


Haha I think this will make the longest post of my blog so far...


Hmmm... I guess everyone will have his/her own unique experience through this camp. It's simply hard to say it all.


For me, I have a quote to share.


"The real outward bound journey begins on the inside."

Make the choice to change, and reach out to others!


The adventure awaits you. :)



Christopher Lye blogged at 7:48 PM

Change your world
to change the world.


Me

 | 



i am, christopher lye
21 on 15 March 2012






Friends

CJC Shooting Club
Amos
Cassandra
Christine
Dennis
Evelyn
Huibing
Joel
John
Junyi
Phyllis
Rowena
Sock Han
Trisha
Weili
Wilbur
Wynee



Get aSALTed!

Get aSALTed!




The Heart Cry





The Afterglow


2008
September
October
November
December

2009
January
February
March
April
May
June
July
August

2010
January
February
March
April
May
June
July
August
September
October
November
December

2011
January
February
March
April
June
July
August
September
October
November
December

2012
January
February
March
April
May





Credits

Blogskins
Fonts (Dobkin)
Main Pic
Imageshack


some of the images and videos are taken from Google images and Youtube videos respectively

the links have been provided where possible