
Monday, January 05, 2009
------------------------------------------------------------------------
Day 1, 2 January 2009
We gathered at the cruise centre at 7.45am and all of us were pretty much excited for the trip! Haha though the only thing bugging us is homework and back to school. Syndromes of a student. It's been a while since our class got together.
Bok Seng, Richmond and I.
Constipated. :p
The ferry was called ASEAN RAIDER I.
"Ladies and gentlemen, please take a seat."
The un-finish-able Milo! Es cream~
Rich conscientiously doing homework on board.
Which jewel ain't brilliant? Lol
The bottom deck of the ferry was air-conditioned! Toilets were just as crammy as the air planes'.
Are you thinking what I'm thinking B1?
Yeah, I'm thinking what you're thinking B2.
The view and the grass felt so much like Singapore when we got to the bus.
We'll go there one of the days :D
Vista.
Talk less, do more!
Clarence!
Poor army man statue... BANG!
We went for lunch at the nearby restaurant.
My, they played the good-old favourites! Westlife, Celine Dion, etc. Sing!
Ridzal, Regan, Jia Yi and Dominic.
What's with the hands?
So there we were at the first orphanage after lunch.
Entering the girls dorm...
The beds were in poor condition, the roof was a little holey, cobwebs were all over.
And there's only one light bulb.
Outside the dorm... Some pictures of mother nature.
Hey! What a skinny chicken! And look! Heard of the story of the chicken who buried its head in the ground?? LOL!
BITE HER! QUICK!
Meditation.
Zai wu ding chang zhe ni de ge.... Zai wu ding he wo ai de ren....
There's a hidden mickey on his head!! HAHAHA!
Smile!
Heeee! Heeee! :D
There was once.... A plant. It was green.
Some of us surveyed other areas of the orphanage. We didn't do much on the first day actually.
Ridzal and friends.
I felt a little sian for the trip at first, that's why I kept on taking so many still-life photos.
The previous classes did a great job on the plantation!
Hey, you won because of your 'feelers'.
We should feel very priveleged.
Pole-dancing madness! ARRGGHHH!
Woooliiiieeeee!
Some of us played soccer with the children there, had some interaction with them.
Jia Yi going for a light tackle...
Why did you Hi-5 with the camera? o.O
The key to our accomodation!
[video of hotel to be uploaded]
That was what I saw when I opened the curtains. Magnificent.
No artist does better than Him.
Dinner was beside the ponds at Golden Prawn 553 I think.
Megan and I asked for Sprite, by the way. Hahaha, complimentary gift! Not bad actually. Dinner was awesome because we had very nice sea food. We were really blessed.
Shark bait, uu ah ah! Those are real at the restaurant.
--------------------------------------------------------
Day 2
This was the bus that brought us around. We got the materials for the day at a hardware shop within the vicinity of the orphanage. It was a work day.
"My specs will see you even as I sleep! Muahahaha!"
This was the classroom after shifting all the furniture out. The walls weren't in a good condition. Paint was peeling off, much graffiti was scribbled on, there were holes. The ceiling had water-seeped patches too. There isn't any light bulb, nor any fan for ventilation. The windows could only be half opened.
Shiu-an and Fel with forced smiles after much painting of the walls.
We went to the Hyper mart after our work. Look at the amount of 0s!
Hehe.. I'm everywhere.
Reflection time at the lobby room. Fel and I.
--------------------------------------------------------
Day 3
I started the day off with a fruity breakfast.
Give, because you have.
CICAKMAN in Batam!
Guess which 2 are from my class!
They just keep coming :)
Lagi satu...
Lagi duah.
You don't mess with the Christopher Lye.
Dia suka kamu kendong.
Yeah.
Christopher.
-click-, -pause-, yehh!
Raaarrh!
Friendly soccer match. I joined in this time. :)
Run!
One-two, one-two!
Gay stance. Hahaha!
Girly hug.
Manly hug.
Richmond, Priscilla and Rocker Boy!
My group's masterpiece.
It's time for us to go.
Goodbye Adil. Take care.
Dinner at Cafe Cuppa.
--------------------------------------------------------
Day 4
We hurriedly packed our luggages, bags and got on the bus. Guess what, it stopped about 100m from the hotel. -.- There was a cultural show waiting for us.
Shiu-an and Rich.
Grrrrr.....
Biting off a fruit's husk!
Eating flaming marshmallows.
Eating glass.
WHY SO SERIOUS??
Stoning air-steward.
Chris and Mel.
The largest temple in Batam.
Guan Yu!
The Batam Metro!
Anytime, anywhere.
I'll never get to do this in shooting!!
MUAHAHAHA!
ROFL!
"Darn you waffles!"
One lounge each!
On the bottom deck.
Goodbye Batam.
Vivi and Shavi.
To the left, to the left...
They showed Ong Bak on the ferry back too but I was too tired for that as well.
We're back.
---------------------------------------------------------------
Amidst all my crap, there were lots to learn from this trip. Things like counting one's blessings- that is to have a family, a stable roof over our heads, education, opportunity...
Above it all, we hoped that what went beyond the transience of our work was the motivation and the acceptance for change, not in the newness of environment, but within. It is up to them to maintain the foundations that we have laid.
Even for us, where God has paved the way through Jesus, it is for us to choose to continue to walk in His light and truth.
Every experience shall be a closer step towards Him.


