
Friday, February 27, 2009

Together with Rich, we played for Ash Wednesday mass. Well, at least it wasn't as bad as my previous attempt. There was the choir and the pianists, Gen and Patrick.
"From dust we have come, and to dust we shall go..."
The season of Lent begins and it's time for abstinence, fasting, and prayer.
I think that if we can do something more besides abstinence and fasting, would not it be just as meaningful? Perhaps it may even be harder for some of us I guess. There are times that I find household chores a chore, like literally.
For example:
After finishing dinner,
you bring your stuff back to the kitchen.
Then you look at your dishes,
your dishes look at you...
Other dishes are left in the sink too...
You start to recall all the homework that you have to complete...
and realise that you have much to do with so little time left...
You take another look at the dishes...
They still stare at you the same way...
Your conscience starts to speak...
"I think that I should wash the dishes..."
But human nature sends thoughts of laziness to you...
"I've got better things to do, one whole load of work to finish..."
You think about washing the dishes again...
You think about Lent...
You think of others...
above self...
and you wash all the dishes in the sink.
It's really a simple daily example, one of which many of us face everyday. Habits have been made, maybe it's not in us that we do more, or we help others. But it's because of the reason, that we go beyond who we are.
Be it doing something less, or doing something more during this season of Lent, in remembrance of the 40 days which Jesus spent in the desert, going through trials and temptations, so must we to keep God in the centre of it all, through prayer.


